Friday, September 23, 2011

My Favorite Prayers

I keep finding old things I want to share.  I subscribe to www.comics.com where I get Doonesbury, Pearls Before Swine, and Rose Is Rose, my favorite strips.  Without newspapers, this is the way to get the old style cartoon laughs.

I want to promote Stephen Pastis and his strip, Pearls Before Swine.  He was a lawyer and has a peculiar sense of humor.  Crocidiles (called “Crocs”) live next door to Zeebra, whom they threaten daily.  The Crocs are not well educated or very bright, and speak with a reptilian accent with a bit of Chicago thrown in.  So for example, their fraternity is “Zeeba, Zeeba, Eata.”

So I can share two old strips that illustrate the relativity of prayer.  How would Crocs pray?  What can you legitimately pray for?  Doesn’t it depend on your context?  People pray for what they want without seeing the self-interest reflected in their prayers.  So aren’t the Croc’s prayers really honest?

First, the common bedtime prayer that scares little kids (“Am I gonna die?”).  You need to know that Larry's son is not sure that he wants to be a predator like his Dad, but I suppose genes win:


Second, the famous “Serenity Prayer:”


Me loves da crocs.  And this will have to do since I missed “talk like a pirate day” last Monday.

No comments: